Everybody wants to be good, that’s what we are told throughout our lives; be nice to people, eat healthily and generally live life as wholesomely as possible. If we need to relax and unwind after a hard day’s work with a nice crisp and refreshing, golden, angelic beer, we more often than not reach for that tried and true, light heavenly beverage I know you are all picturing in your head right about now.
Well maybe you had a bad day; the traffic was hell and the dark night’s drawing in are just dampening your spirits. That fizzy little brew you thought was so good just a moment ago doesn’t sound so appealing, you need something darker, more complex, meaner, perhaps…
If this sounds like you, now is the perfect time to explore the many dark and brooding beers to help you through the winter months, Porters laden with roasted malts, rich Stouts as black as night alongside beers aged in Bourbon and Scotch barrels for that extra layer of flavor are just some of the offerings here at Beltramo’s to tempt you over to the Dark Side.
- The Jolly Rodger ($7.49 22oz Bottle) by Drake’s Brewing comes in a different incarnation each year. The 2013 release is an American Imperial Black Ale, an intensely hopped beer with plenty of dark roasted malts to balance the seriously boozy 11.5%.
- Hailing from Ipswich, Massachusetts, Clown Shoes have been brewing up an eclectic range of beer to get your teeth into. The Vampire Slayer ($8.99 22oz Bottle) is no exception, a full bodied imperial stout brewed with malts smoked with Hickory, Ash and Vampire killing stakes!
- The Labyrinth ($13.99 750ml Bottle) is a Quadruple Black Ale brewed with licorice and aged in oak barrels for a flavor so complex that once you’ve tasted it you might never escape its charms.
- AleSmith have been on the forefront of the San Diego beer scene since 1995. Their Speedway Stout ($12.99 750ml Bottle) being the flagship dark beer gaining the perfect 100 points from ratebeer. This is a huge Imperial stout brewed with masses of coffee for a real kick that will get your heart racing.
- The St. Petersburg ($7.99 500ml Bottle) Imperial Stout is a classic example of this style brewed in the heart of the English Countryside at Thornbridge Hall Brewery. This beer is characterized by its smooth creamy body and subtle, smokey, peated malts for a well rounded finish.
- The Danish Brewery Mikkeller is well known for producing bold and unusual beers to challenge your taste buds. The Chipotle Porter ($14.99 375ml Bottle) aged in Bourbon Barrels is no exception with some serious pepper spice and creamy, toasted oak notes for an experience you won’t forget.
Christian B., Beltramo’s Beer Buyer